THE MANOR HALL (MANOR PAVILION)
LOCATION: Manor Road
OPENED: 18th December 1891
ARCHITECT: R.C.Murray Associates
ALTERATIONS: Sidmouth Urban Council 1952 and again in 1973, with improvements and internal reconstruction.
PRESENT USE: Theatre
This large, imposing complex was built for the town by the Lord of the Manor, John Edmund Balfour. It was built on a corner site, comprising of a large ballroom/hall in Manor Road and offices, dressing rooms and a smaller hall on the Station Road elevation. It has been used extensively for many years, for meetings, concerts and theatre. Many alterations have taken place and when taken over by the Council in 1952 a new frontage in Manor Road was built. The original offices and small hall in Station Road were converted to an arts centre and theatre bar respectively. The stage has been rebuilt and moved from the Eastern to the Western end, with tiered seating installed and a new dressing room block added, all in the 1973 improvements.
It flourishes today as the town’s main theatre.